Are you considering updating your home’s windows in order to improve their aesthetics, security or energy efficiency? Or perhaps you’re simply replacing a window that is broken or damaged. In either case, purchasing new windows is an exciting home improvement project.
No matter the reason behind your new window installation, there are many factors that should be considered before you get started. Materials, performance, design, style and warranties are just a few of the details that may impact your decision-making.
Before you begin your new window installation, read through this checklist to ensure you understand how to select and install the best windows for your home.
Choosing Window Types and Styles
There are many different styles of windows you can choose from, some of which may complement your overall home design better than others. Below are a few of the most popular window styles:
- Double hung
Rather than choosing one of the standard styles above, you may also prefer a custom window modified to fit the dimensions of your home. Whichever style you prefer, you will also need to consider colors and finishes.
Choosing the Best-Performing Windows
You want your home’s windows to look great, but selecting windows that perform well is just as essential. Security, durability, and energy efficiency are all components of window performance. Ask yourself these questions before making any decisions:
- What is the material of the window frames? (Wood, vinyl, fiberglass, aluminum, etc.)
- Are the windows Energy Star rated?
- What is the U-Factor of the windows?
- What is the Solar Heat Gain Coefficient?
- What is the Visible Transmittance?
- Is the glass double pane or triple pane?
- How sound-resistant are the windows?
- How durable and long-lasting are the windows?
- What level is maintenance is required?
Related: Learn how to choose energy efficient replacement windows
Choosing the Right Window Installation Expert
In addition to selecting the best possible windows for your home, it is also important to choose the right contractor for the job. Make sure you know the answers to these questions before signing any contracts:
- Are they an established company? How many years have they been in business?
- Are the installers company employees, or subcontractors?
- What is the company’s BBB reputation?
- Are warranties included? Does the warranty include labor?
- What do past and current customers have to say about their experiences?
If you’re unsure about the best replacement windows for your home, one of our experts can walk you through every step of the window buying and window installation process. Contact us today for more information about our services.